Considered to be one of the best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners in the history of
the martial art, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza made the jump to MMA in recent years.
Now, following an epic five-round battle with Tim Kennedy at the August 21st

STRIKEFORCE: Houston event, he is the STRIKEFORCE Middleweight Champion.
While this is a great accomplishment, it also places a large bulls-eye squarely on his
back. Does the man whose nickname means “Alligator” possess thick enough skin to
weather the brewing storm? We’re about to find out.
We sat down recently with “Jacare” to discuss his victory, his position in MMA, and his
future in the sport.


Where does the middleweight championship rank on your list of accomplishments?
Jacare: Right on top. Since I started competing in MMA, I have been aiming to be the
champion and have a middleweight championship belt around my waist. In Japan, I
lost in the final [of a championship tournament], so that was close, but now I had the
opportunity and I was able to accomplish it this time.
Now that you have the belt, what’s next for you?
Jacare: Well, I am ready to start defending my belt, and it is up to STRIKEFORCE,
[CEO] Scott Coker, and the scale to decide who I will be fighting next. If you make 185
lbs., it’s on (laughs)! All I know is, I will keep training hard and keep evolving in all
elements of fighting in MMA.


There were questions about your conditioning and standup heading into the bout with
Tim Kennedy. Do you feel that you answered those?
Jacare: I hope so. Lots of people questioned my conditioning after watched my fight
against Joey Villasenor. If you watch the fight you will see how much pressure I put on
the first round, but I couldn’t keep that pace. In my fight against Tim Kennedy, I was a
more calm and strategic fighter, so I could use my energy in doses and at the end of the
5th round still be good to go for another round or two. Regarding my standup game, for
sure it’s improving, and I will keep working hard to get better.


It was quite a battle with Kennedy. Do you feel he deserves a rematch?

Jacare: Tim Kennedy is a tough fighter, and he deserves another shot at the belt soon,
but I would like to fight somebody else first. But once again that is up to Scott Coker to
decide.


There are rumors that there will be a middleweight tournament to determine a number-
one contender for your belt. What are your thoughts on that?
Jacare: Definitely someone very good will come out on top of this tournament, and it
will make a great show [if it happens]. STRIKEFORCE has a lot of great fighters in my
division, so I know they will keep me very busy.
Gegard Mousasi handed you one of only two career losses. He is also part
of the STRIKEFORCE roster. Would you like a chance to avenge that loss?

Jacare: If he can make 185 lbs., it is on. I met him in Tokyo, and I really like Mousasi.
He’s a nice guy. But like I said, I will fight anyone at 185 lbs.


Who do you feel is the biggest threat to your title?
Jacare: Everyone is a threat. It’s up to me and my coaches to make sure I am well
prepared and that at the day of the fight I fight my best.
Who do you want to fight next?

Jacare: I do not have anyone specific. STRIKEFORCE has a bunch of great fighters in
my division, so let’s see what happens.
When should fans expect to see you in the cage again?
Jacare: I hope as soon as possible. Right after my last fight, in an interview I was already
begging for my next fight. Once I get my next fight, I can resume my training.
Will we see the “Alligator Chomp” in San Jose again?
Jacare: That is the main plan (laughs).
What is your favorite submission?
Jacare: Triangle, armbar, chokes…I like them all. Especially the ones that work (smiles).
What would fans be surprised to know about you?

Jacare: Not sure. But I am a family man, and I do normal things like walk my dog twice
a day, go shopping, go to movies, and enjoy my family. My son, Enzo Gabriel, was
just born on August 20th, one day before my fight against Kennedy. I just met Enzo on
Tuesday, August 24th, and it is one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life.
Is there anything you’d like to add?

Jacare: I would like to say thank you to my coaches Josuel Distak and Rogerio Camoes,
to my team that helps me get ready for my fights at X-gym, to my lovely wife Larissa for
her love, and for giving me a wonderful son, to my manager and friend Gilberto Faria,
and to all my fans. God bless you all!