STRIKEFORCE Middleweight Champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza has garnered a reputation as one of the top submission fighters in MMA today. In his most recent bout, he exhibited his improved conditioning and an evolving striking game to grab the vacant world title belt in a matchup with Tim Kennedy.
Undefeated at 3-0 within the confines of the STRIKEFORCE cage, Jacare Souza has also developed quite a fan following. He will bring his momentum to San Jose, California to defend his strap against “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler on January 29th.
Last time he competed in San Jose, the champion showcased his signature “Alligator Chomp” hand-motion to fans. Unbeknownst to “Jacare,” the HP Pavilion is home to the San Jose Sharks, where that same hand-motion is utilized during San Jose Sharks games to rally the team. The result? Instant fan favorite!
I spoke with “Jacare” recently to discuss his upcoming bout with Lawler.
Johnny Preston: You’re undefeated in STRIKEFORCE. Now, you’ll face what is likely your toughest test to date in the promotion in “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler. What were your initial thoughts when offered the fight?
“Jacare” Souza: I was kind expecting this fight. My manager was talking to STRIKEFORCE and they said there was a big chance the winner of Robbie and Matt [Lindland] would be my next opponent. So I was not surprised…only anxious to confirm the date of my fight so that I could get focused and together with my coaches and training partners to prepare myself for my next challenge.
JP: Robbie has finished 83% of his victims with a TKO/KO, while you’ve submitted 76% of yours. Both of you have finished Matt Lindland with your specialty. Is it safe to say this is a classic striker versus grappler matchup?
JS: I believe so. I am a grappler, he is a striker and so it’s on! I bet it will be an exciting fight.
JP: Are you working on any specific part of your game for Robbie?
JS: I am studying his fights and training at the X-Gym with my team. I am very lucky to have great coaches and training partners. The momentum is perfect. Anderson [Silva] fights one week after my fight, so everybody is very focused. Training has being great.
JP: You’re coming back to San Jose for the first time in about a year. Will we see your now-famous “Alligator Chomp” at the Shark Tank?
JS: We will see what happens first. Robbie is a tough fighter and it will be a battle. All I can say is that I will be ready for January 29th.
JP: Is there anybody else you have your eye on in the STRIKEFORCE middleweight division?
JS: I take my job very seriously, and I do not choose my opponents. I will fight anyone that makes my weight class. It is up to STRIKEFORCE to decide who my next opponent will be. There are a lot of good guys in my division, and there are other guys that can drop to my weight, as well. So there are several possibilities. For me it’s all about being ready, and to take it one fight at a time.
JP: What can fans expect out of “Jacare” on January 29th in San Jose?
JS: For sure, I will be ready. I am still improving my game, and I hope be able to show that every time I fight. So hopefully I will be the better fighter on January 29th.