Georges St-Pierre Reconsiders Anderson Silva Fight, “I Have a Lot to Lose”

Written by Tom Ngo
March 4th, 2011

Help 5thRound.com spread the word

After witnessing middleweight champ Anderson Silva jam his foot in Vitor Belfort’s mouth at UFC 126, it appears welterweight king Georges St-Pierre is reconsidering his craving for the 185-pound division.
Although Octagon president Dana White stated GSP would make the permanent move to the middleweight class and immediately challenge Silva for his crown if he defeats Jake Shields at UFC 129, St-Pierre was singing a completely different tune Thursday night at “UFC on Versus 3.”
“I don’t know. I need to sit down with my entourage and see first where this fight will take place and what weight. A bunch of stuff,” St-Pierre told the Versus crew of a potential shootout with Silva. “Right now I’m focusing just on Jake Shields, I don’t see further than Jake Shields.”
Regardless, it didn’t prevent GSP from seeing Silva’s massive frame looming behind the former Strikeforce champion. The baddest welterweight in bare feet was quick to point out their overwhelming weight difference, highlighting it as the primary reason the mega-fight to end all mega-fights may be a long ways away.
“It would take a long time [to put on that kind of weight]. Anderson Silva is a huge guy, he’s weighing around 230 pounds,” St-Pierre expressed. “He’s very big. Even when he fought as a light heavyweight he looked bigger than the other guys.”
Most believe St-Pierre lapped the field after hanging a second unanimous decision victory on Josh Koscheck. He owns a dominant 21-2 record and has convincingly defended his throne five consecutive times. Regardless, leaving as the division’s G.O.A.T. at the age of 29 doesn’t sound like something he’s prepared to do.
“I don’t know if I’m gonna go up to 185. I have no idea,” St-Pierre said in closing. “It’s a complete reorientation of my career. I have a lot to lose.”
On the flipside, he has plenty to gain, as well.