To truly possess the skills of a Ninja, one must be capable of properly striking the vital and fatal points of the human body.

The Ninja were not evil assassins who killed for fun as Hollywood would have you believe.

For the most part, Ninja were ordinary people who developed certain skills in order to survive the difficult times in feudal Japan's history.

The Ninja's outlook is a physical, emotional, and spiritual method of self-protection from the dangers that confront those on the warrior path to enlightenment.

Having had the privilege of speaking with Daniel Roberts, it is apparent that he is a “Ninja Warrior” in the truest sense.

Roberts, is a former All-American wrestler with over 12 years of jiu-jitsu experience, four years of karate experience, and three years of judo experience. He has won countless competitions over the past few years and carries some of the most impressive credentials of any MMA fighter who is not currently calling themselves a champion.

Robert’s MMA record is a stellar 9-0, which has finally earned him the opportunity to make his UFC debut on March 21st (Live on Versus) against John “Doomsday” Howard, an intimidating fighter with incredibly powerful striking abilities.

This is my interview with the Ninja:

JR: Hi Daniel.

Ninja: Hello James Ryan.

JR: First of all, congratulations on making your UFC debut. You must be very excited.

Ninja: Absolutely. This is definitely something that I have been working hard towards.

JR: Initially, your opponent Howard was scheduled to fight Anthony “Rumble” Johnson, but because of an injury, you have been given the opportunity instead. How did this all come about?

Ninja: Well, I had thought to initiate contact with Joe Silva in the UFC some time back, and I just kept updating him on my status as I kept on winning.

JR: So, you were being completely pro-active by making sure that they obviously knew about your accomplishments.

Ninja: Precisely. I wanted to keep them in the loop on what I was doing and Joe just kept on encouraging me to keep on doing what I was doing. I knew that if I kept winning, I would eventually get my shot in the UFC. I knew that they would call on me eventually, I just didn’t know when.

JR: Awesome job!

Ninja: Thank you.

JR: I noticed on the UFC website that a lot of the fights are listed as potentially not being broadcast. How important is it for you to be televised in your debut in order to increase your exposure and name recognition amongst the fans?

Ninja: Obviously I would love to be on television for all of my fans, sponsors, and supporters, but all I can do is go in there and do my best.

JR: Did you receive any advice from the UFC on how to improve your chances of getting televised?

Ninja: [LAUGHS] Oh yes, they basically said to go out there and “win impressively.”

JR: Win impressively? So then, does that put any added pressure on you to go out there and try to get the knock-out against Howard?

Ninja: Not really any added pressure. I haven’t been in a fight that has lasted past the first round, since 2007. My game plan is to just go out there and perform the way that I always do. I don’t plan on changing what I do. It’s gotten me this far.

JR: I agree totally. Don’t fix it if it’s not broken, especially if it has brought you the level of success that you are currently having. Any special preparations for this fight? Are you feeling any extra pressure to train harder than usual simply because it is your debut and you would like to do well?

Ninja: I have beefed up my training a bit, particularly with my cardio. Even though my fights don’t generally last very long, you still have to be prepared. Anything can happen in a fight and I have to be ready in case I need to go the distance.

JR: Let’s talk specifically about your opponent for a sec. On paper, you both seem pretty evenly matched. What are your thoughts on this?

Ninja: No disrespect to Howard, he is a powerful guy, but his ground and pound is no where even close to mine. I also don’t think that his stand up is overly impressive. I definitely will not be afraid to stand with Howard. My main goal is to win this fight as fast as possible.

JR: You mentioned his power. Is that something that you have been training for?

Ninja: A bit. I’ve been training and wrestling with much bigger and stronger guys, but that’s something that I always do anyway.

JR: You sound physically prepared, but how about your mental preparation? I noticed on your website that you believe very strongly in mental preparedness.

Ninja: Mentally, as a fighter, you always need to stay confident. I know that realistically, I am a human being just like anyone else and can be beat, but once I step into that ring, I completely transform. I am 100% confident that I am going to win and I never feel that anyone else will beat me. I am a straight destroyer in that ring and my mission is simple; to hurt the other guy and to do it as fast as possible.

JR: On the flip-side of mental preparedness, how much of your game plan is spent trying to intimidate your opponent or trying to get inside of his head to throw him off of his own game plan?

Ninja: Leading up to a fight, I’m not like that. Once we’re in the ring together, I’m not intentionally trying to intimidate my opponent, but I definitely stare him down. That’s just me being focused on the task at hand.

JR: What are your thoughts on the importance of sportsmanship in MMA?

Ninja: Sportsmanship is very important to me. Before and after the fight, I am always very respectful. I’m a nice, laid back guy who likes to tell jokes, but once we’re inside of the ring, it’s a different story. I’ll touch gloves at the start of the fight, but after that, no way.

JR: How do you mean?

Ninja: Say, if a fighter kicks the other guy with an accidental low blow, they usually touch gloves again before they continue. I would never do that. I have seen it where other guys let their guard down like that and their opponent takes total advantage. During the fight, I am trying to destroy my opponent. That’s it.

JR: Well, it is a fight after all.

Ninja: Exactly. I’m not in there to be nice.

JR: Curious, what’s the best advice that you would give to young people who would want to get started in this sport?

Ninja: Best advice? I would have to say, don’t let anybody tell you that you can’t do something. I had a lot of people telling me that I would never succeed in this sport, but I have used that as motivation. Becoming a fighter is not easy, but if you want something bad enough, you need to go for it. So long as you keep finding success, you will achieve your goals.

JR: I’d say that’s pretty good advice.

Ninja: And surround yourself with positive energy and positive people.

JR: For sure. So dare I ask? What is your prediction for your fight against Howard?

Ninja: Knock-out or submission in the first round. Either way, it’ll be over quickly.

JR: Well, judging by how explosive you are in your videos, I would say that Howard has his work cut out for him. All the best next week Daniel, and thank you very much for your time today.

Ninja: My pleasure. Thank you, James.


This is my interview. If you don’t like it...I have others. Check them out at www.coachjamesryan.com

Special thanks to the Carried-Out Fight Gear Family! Man, it feels great to be back!

Carried-Out Fight Gear was founded in 2009 by a group of ex-fighters who realized that the true essence of a Warrior was being lost by some people giving up. The Carried Out mindset of “One Way Out – Carried Out!” signifies that a fighter will never, ever surrender and fight to the very end, leaving everything he/she has in the ring, on the mat, or in the cage..... One Way Out...CARRIED OUT!

JR: Wait, wait!! I almost forgot! Daniel?! Are you still there?

Ninja: Ya, what’s up?

JR: After you win against Howard, I get to be first in line to interview you again, right?

Ninja: [LAUGHS] But, of course James.

JR: Sweet!