Since forming a partnership in 2009, Strikeforce and Dream have forged ahead together with an exchange of fighters in the hopes of building a stronger brand globally.

Dream champion Marius Zaromskis has already fought in the U.S. The next champion to try his hand in Strikeforce is Dream lightweight titleholder Shinya Aoki when he faces Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez on April 17.

If Melendez is successful it appears his celebration may be short lived, because all signs then point towards an immediate rematch with Aoki in Japan. The Strikeforce champion indicated the likelihood of such a scenario when appearing on MMAWeekly Radio on Tuesday night.

"It sounds like that's what's going down, and you know what I'm not mad about it," said Melendez about a rematch with Aoki in Japan. "The fact that I get to fight the Dream champion, (he's) coming over here to fight me, and if I beat him and they want to do it, I'm definitely open to it."

Melendez is no stranger to fighting in Japan. For the majority of 2006 and 2007, he fought under the Pride banner in Japan, while having also fought in Shooto prior to that. He welcomes a return to The Land of the Rising Sun to represent his home country.

"I feel like I'm a soldier, and I'm trying to represent for Strikeforce, and for my team, and for myself, for everybody," said Melendez. "I'm trying to represent for the U.S. and I'm wanting to take the challenge. I'll go to Japan and fight that guy, I'm not scared."

The rules differences for Aoki in this fight have been brought up several times. He has to fight in a cage in Strikeforce instead of a ring and he has to trade in his grappling pants for shorts. To Melendez's advantage, if a rematch with Aoki does happen in Japan, he's faced the different rules before.

"I know the rules. I've done the ten minute rounds before and I can do it again," said Melendez. "Aoki does have the home field advantage out there. He has dialogue with referees during the match. That's kind of how it goes when you fight on your home turf. I'll go out there and do it; I'm up for the challenge."

Melendez will try to earn that return trip to Japan to face Aoki on his home turf by first defeating him on April 17 in Nashville.