While many MMA websites and blogs stated a Cheick Kongo vs. Roy Nelson matchup for UFC 116 was confirmed, the French fighter told us on Wednesday, during our interview with him at the Kongo Smashin' Club in his hometown of Paris, France, that the information was far from being confirmed.

Cheick has sustained a back injury, that he did not wish to disclose until Wednesday, during his fight with Paul Buentello at the UFC On Versus 1 event:

"I have to be able to start my preparation - the thing I haven't done yet. I am still injured [from the Buentello fight]," stated Kongo.

After undergoing several medical exams in the past few weeks, he's now waiting to see whether his injury will require surgery. If this is the case, which is possible, he wouldn't be ready to fight at UFC 116.

"I don't think it would happen at UFC 116. Maybe later but not then" said the French fighter.

He also stated that he did not get any word from the UFC on a fight between him and Nelson.
"I didn't get any word from the UFC [on this matchup], I have my manager Anthony who's working on that, and as of today I'm just actively recovering and nothing else" he concluded.