When then-47-year-old former pro footballer Herschel Walker (1-0 MMA, 1-0 SF) stepped into a Strikeforce cage in January, many MMA observers felt it was probably a one-time affair.

After all, the "Strikeforce: Miami" card he competed in was held in conjunction with the NFL's Super Bowl, and Walker was no stranger to the media circuit in the weeks building up to the fight. It looked like a move driven largely by publicity.

And though his performance garnered some mixed reviews, Walker was victorious. Now 48 years old, Walker said he's ready to do it all again.

"I'm going to fight one more," Walker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at the post-event press conference for Saturday's "Strikeforce: Nashville" event. "Right now, I'm getting ready to get back into [American Kickboxing Academy] and do one more fight."

In his debut, Walker earned a third-round TKO stoppage of a slightly less green Greg Nagy (1-2 MMA, 0-1 SF). It wasn't the performance of a future champion, but it certainly wasn't that of a complete novice, either.

Walker admitted that even with a combat sports background, the lead-up to his time in the cage was full of lessons. And as he did for his first fight, the former Heisman Trophy winner said he'll let his trainers decide when he's ready to go again.

"When I first came in the gym, they were impressed with my cardio," Walker said. "There was a lot of knowledge that I had to learn about the fight game. I had been in Tae Kwon Do, but the fight game was a little different. I got that under my belt. Now I'm going to get back in the gym, and I'm going to leave it to Javier (Mendez) and Bob Cook and Dave (Camarillo) to say when they think I should step back into the cage.

"I may think I'm ready to go right away. They may think it may be longer, so I'm really leaving it all up to them because they've taken care of me so far."

Walker has been away from the AKA camp in recent months, but he says he's continued to focus on his training – especially on his ground skills.

"I don't think anybody can become a black belt in jiu-jitsu in five years," Walker said. "It's going to take a long time. What you can do is familiarize yourself, and I think you saw that [at 'Strikeforce: Nashville'] with a lot of the jiu-jitsu guys. This is a human chess match when you talk about jiu-jitsu. That's one thing that I really want to learn.

"I've got Dave Camarillo out in San Jose, so what he did is have me work on some things when I was away. When I get back out there with the guys, we can work on some other things."

Strikeforce has already announced a pair of cards in May and another two events in June, and all four events appear to have room on the card for Walker. But as of now, he's not sure when exactly he'll step into the cage – only that he definitely will.

But at 48 years old, he'll take sooner rather than later.

"I'd definitely like to do it before the end of the year," Walker said. "It's not like I'm a young, spring chicken here."