LAS VEGAS – Even more than 24 hours later, the message that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (27-4 MMA, 12-0 UFC) was sending at Wednesday's pre-UFC 126 press conference resonated loud and clear with MMA fans and pundits alike.

Not so with main-event opponent Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC).

"I just know one thing: When you say silly things, when you do silly things, it's because you're worried, and you're trying to wear a mask," Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The way I fight, and the way I am, I have respect. I just need to wear one mask: myself."

Of course, with his bulbous stunner shades and patented scowl of disinterest, Silva's Wednesday mask was nearly as literal as it was figurative. But when the conference was over and Silva removed the sunglasses to stand nose-to-nose with his opponent – the champ's fist clenching in unison with his jaw – the tension was palpable from those standing in the vicinity.

But even with the closest view possible, just inches from "The Spider's" bite, Belfort said he was unimpressed.

"How do you know if the fruit is good?" Belfort asked. "You have to bite it.

"His actions speak louder than his words. I think he respects me. I just think he wears the mask, trying to intimidate me. He can see it in my eyes. I'm on fire. I'm not getting intimidated by anyone."

It's confident speak from the Brazilian, but it airs of pure resolve. This isn't the uncertain Belfort that struggled during a 2-5 run from 2004 to 2006. No, this Belfort is brimming with the confidence that comes from a five-fight win streak that features four knockout finishes – including three in the first round.

"I'm on fire right now," Belfort said. "I have the fire of God inside me. I just have that thing. When you have the fire of God, you can do anything."

And it's not just lip service. While Belfort has often been called a head case throughout his near 15-year career (an incredible mark in itself for a 33-year-old fighter), this version of "The Phenom" – whether you believe it's the "old Vitor" or a "newer new Vitor" – seems unshakable as he stands in front of you, looking you in the eyes, his voice steady as he discusses his plan.

There's nothing to hide. What you see is what you get.

"I don't need to make a persona to sell more pay-per-views," Belfort said. "I am who I am, and that's one of the things the fans can identify themselves with in me. Maybe I'm not perfect. Maybe I'm not the best. But I am who I am. That's the main thing.

"I'm not perfect. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone. I'm just saying I am who I am. I make mistakes, but I am who I am."

Of course, if he's going to complete the mission at hand, if the former UFC light heavyweight champion is going to become just the third fighter in UFC history to hold a UFC title in two weightclasses, he'll need to be better than the current middleweight champ.

Belfort won't make any guarantees. After all, a man of God knows the results ultimately fall in someone else's hands. But the challenger does promise he'll put on a show worthy of what is quickly becoming one of the most anticipated fights in UFC history.

"I'm going to go there, and if I get knocked out or knock him out, I'm going to put on a show for you guys," Belfort said. "These fans pay thousands of dollars to come here. The UFC invests millions and millions of dollars to see us fight. I'm not going to get intimidated by anyone, and [Silva] knows that."